A) TV commercials / cinema trailers
“Commercials” fall under the supreme discipline of film making although mocked and barely appreciated by some film makers. An ad is no more than a blink of an eye compared to a feature length film but nevertheless has to perform the same within the prescribed few seconds: tell a complete and coherent story, arouse emotion and empathy, create a feeling of identity and convey messages in a world of information overkill. Of course, it must have a certain level of technical quality, but originality, imagination, creativity and the courage to fail are also important.
• Amateur film makers (children, young people, adults)
• Trainee filmmakers and media designers, students, apprentices, etc.
• Career professionals
• Video spot (TV – 30 seconds / cinema – 90 seconds)
• Handy-Spot Mobile phone spot (internet - 60 to 90 seconds)
• One spot of up to approx. 30 seconds in TV format or 90 seconds in cinema format
• One mobile phone spot between 60 to 90 seconds
• TV spots with a file size of approx. 50 MB and for publication purposes an additional ZIP file of
1 GB maximum in the highest possible resolution
• In the event of winning a prize/a special recognition, participants are to provide the high-resolution
version possible on DVD if requested
• The works must not contain any canned music
The topics outlined below are intended as a stimulus to engage the participant with the main idea of the contest, according to which the concept of “violence” can encompass mental, societal and physical violence but also indirect violence, e.g. by exclusion.
Participants can select as many topics as they wish.
A VIII.1. Captured and/or staged anti-violence scenes
e.g. at school, at home, in child rearing, on the street, at the playground and other places, during sports and games
A VIII.2. Violence – against children and young people, against elderly people;
in any event with imaginative solutions
A VIII.3. Harassment/bullying
e.g. in schools, among children and young people, in everyday life, in public, in child rearing
A VIII.4. Ideas against violence
A VIII.5. Conflict resolution involving humour
e.g. with witty punchlines directed against violence
A VIII.6. Violence against nature and solutions to it
A VIII.7. A lie exposes itself
A VIII.8. Free topic
Participants are free to choose any topic they like and can submit works which address the main idea of violence prevention in a different way to those described above.
5. Conditions of participation
• Submissions must be uploaded to the competition’s digital film database by participants with the
corresponding meta data
• Amateur filmmakers and “trainee filmmakers and media designers, students, apprentices, etc.” give
a brief description of the topic of their work and the intention behind the selected topic and its
• Texts or dialogues (spoken, written, sung or displayed) in German and English
• Participants (also one representative of a group) must send a completed and signed entry form as an
attachment to the e-mail address provided, participation is not possible without registration
• The organisers’ decision is final. There is no recourse to legal action.
Closing date for entries: 15 July 2014
We recommend uploading works to the database at least four days before the closing date and mailing the written entry form (PDF) in good time.